Dancing is a great exercise for those looking to lose weight. Not only does it make you move but is also a fun activity. The best part about dancing is that while you are doing this exercise, it does not seem like a task and you are motivated to do it every time. If weight loss is your mission, then consider dancing to make your exercise routine you look forward to.
Many people wish to lose weight and look for options like gymming, running, yoga and even tough workouts such as Tabata to lose weight. However, if you don’t enjoy your fitness regime, chances are you will leave it sooner than you think. Sticking to a fitness regime is necessary to achieve sustainable weight loss and hence, for those who like to groove to beats, dancing is the perfect exercise for you!
You do not need to be a perfect dancer and learn how to point your toes, the idea is to not get bored with what you do. Dancing, just like running, is free and you can do this from the comfort of your home and lose weight in no time. All you need is a room and your phone to watch videos and replicate the same.
Dancing falls under the cardio label and hence burns calories quickly. Since the movement is fast, your heartbeat is bound to rise. If you want, you can join a dance class near your house or office or do it at home as well. It is advised to follow a basic warm-up routine before you start dancing. This warm-up routine can include yoga and other stretching exercises. If you experience any kind of pain in your back or any other body part, you may be doing your warm-up wrong and hence, it is necessary to consult an expert on the same.
There are various kinds of dancing forms you can do to lose weight:
1. Bhangra: Yes, not only at Indian weddings, but bhangra is a great form of cardio workout for you. Since bhangra requires you to move your body vigorously, after an hour of this fun dance workout you will be sweating a lot of calories off.
2. Zumba: What makes Zumba so popular and fun is the way it combines dancing and other aerobic exercises in its routine. One hour of Zumba for even five days a week can help you achieve your ideal weight.
3. Classical dance: Not that this is everyone’s cup of tea, but classical dances like Bharatnatyam and kathak work on your muscles and make them as strong as any gym workout would. Age is no bar to learn classical dancing, and if you have the flair for it, start right away!
4. Salsa: Wish to lose weight with your partner? Then salsa is for you! Not only do you get to be with your partner, but you also get to learn moves and shed kilos at the same time.
5. Bollywood: If all else fails, there’s Bollywood! Just put on your favourite song and start dancing. For those leading a sedentary lifestyle, even this kind of movement is enough to get them motivated to lose weight. This way you will lose weight, dance to your favourite tracks and enjoy as well. And that is a very good deal for weight loss.
6. Hip-hop: Planning to learn something new and lose weight at the same time? join a hip-hop class! An hour of hip-hop can make you burn 300-400 calories and make body parts move which have been stationary for a while now!