Beauty products like shampoo, makeup, and cologne may cause cosmetic allergies. They may also lead to irritated skin or allergic skin reactions. A study in 2010 revealed that people had allergic reactions due to ingredients used in cosmetics.
Cosmetic Allergy Symptoms
Skin problems can range from rashes to full blown allergic reactions. These symptoms can occur when you start using a new cosmetic or after using a product for years. Your skin may burn, itch, sting, and become red when you start using the product. In some cases, you might also get blisters, especially when you scratch the area.
Types Of Cosmetic Allergy
There are two types of skin reactions related to beauty products. One condition is known as dermatitis, which can damage your skin and can cause symptoms like redness, itching, swelling, and hives. You can also get allergic reaction on body parts like face, lips, eyes, ears, and neck.
Fragrances and preservatives can also cause cosmetic allergy. Other unscented products also cover up chemical fragrances. You may not get the smell but it might cause an allergic reaction. You can select products that are fragrance-free and comes without perfume.
Other than that, water based products have preservatives. The most common ones are parabens, imidazolidinyl urea, Quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, phenoxyethanol, methylchlorisothiazolinone, and formaldehyde. All these are related to skin allergies.
Beauty Products To Look Out For
The beauty products that are most likely to cause skin reactions are bath soaps, antiperspirants, eye makeup, detergents, shampoos, lip stains, nail polish, and finger glue containing methacrylate. Other than that, hair dyes can also lead to skin reactions, especially those containing p-phenylenediamine and ammonium persulfate for lightening hair. Beauty products that contain alpha-hydroxy acids can also lead to symptoms like redness, itching, blisters, and swelling especially with products that have AHA level over 10%.
Retin-A wrinkle creams and serums can also cause irritant contact dermatitis in most people.
Other than that, most people suffer from sunscreen sensitivity. For them, most sun-protection products can cause dermatitis. If this happens to you, talk to a dermatologist for the best protection for your skin from the sun.
Home Remedies For Cosmetic Allergy
While benefiting your skin in many ways, cosmetics may often come with side effects like skin allergies. Selecting the right products and knowing how to apply makeup is very much essential for maintaining a healthy skin. You might want to deal with minor skin issues right away.
You can look up for skin allergy home remedies below:
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural anti-bacterial agent useful for treating cosmetic skin allergies. Using the oil can disinfect the skin, cleanse clogged pores, and keep skin moisturized.
- Use a cotton ball to dip in the coconut oil.
- Apply the oil on the affected area.
- Allow the oil to absorb into the skin.
Note: Coconut oil is highly recommended if you are suffering from redness and itchiness caused by cosmetic skin allergy as it can soothe skin irritation.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can treat irritated skin and soothe burning feeling through its natural cooling effect. It can also reduce skin inflammation and speed up healing process.
- Cleanse your face well.
- Apply freshly squeezed aloe vera gel.
- Allow it to dry naturally before rinsing the skin.
- Repeat twice daily – once in the morning and in the evening for best results.
Note: Aloe vera is also an effective solution for treating acne and pimples.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an effective ingredient and works as a natural scrub. It can be used in paste form or in water solution for treating makeup allergy. Baking soda works by removing dead skin cells and unblocking clogged pores.
- Add one tsp of baking soda to three tsp of water.
- Mix until you create a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste directly on affected areas.
- Allow it to dry for 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
Note: Alternatively, you can try a baking soda bath solution. Add few tsp of baking soda to a bathtub. Mix well and use over affected areas. Soak in the bathwater for 20 minutes. Pat dry using a clean towel.
Honey is ideally used for treating several skin conditions including makeup allergy. It can be more beneficial when consumed or applied directly over affected area. Honey can also help to unclog skin pores and treat skin allergies.
- Apply honey over affected area.
- Allow it to absorb into skin.
Note: You can also mix honey with tomato puree for achieving a glowing skin.
Oatmeal is an effective remedy for treating makeup allergies. It acts as natural cleanser for nurturing skin. In addition, it works as an excellent moisturizer and helps in treating dry skin.
- Take oatmeal powder and grind it into finer powder.
- Add warm water to the oatmeal powder to create a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste over allergy.
- Allow it to dry for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse the area with cool water and pat dry.
Note: Oatmeal can help to deeply cleanse skin and remove impurities.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory properties for reducing the effects of allergy. It is also rich in anti-bacterial agents and ensures that the skin remains germ free.
- Mix one tsp of apple cider vinegar with three tsp of water.
- Use the solution over affected area and allow it to dry.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Pat dry.
Note: Avoid direct sun exposure for few hours after the treatment.
7. Green Tea
Green tea has a high content of antioxidants and is a great remedy for treating all skin problems. It is also suitable for both drinking and bathing purposes.
- Prepare a green tea bath soak.
- Soak your body for a few minutes.
Note: You can also prepare tea and apply on the affected areas with the solution.
8. Rose Water
Rose water is a mild face allergy home treatment and is usable daily. It can be used for treating skin problems including makeup allergies.
- Soak cotton in rose water.
- Dab the soaked cotton onto your face.
Note: Using the rose water daily can also keep skin nourished and soft.
9. Olive oil
Olive oil is an effective remedy for makeup allergies. It contains essential nutrients useful for skin nourishment.
- Apply a small amount of olive oil to affected area.
- Allow it to absorb into skin.
Note: Olive oil can reduce skin irritation caused by allergies. You can also apply a small amount of olive oil on the affected area.
10. Banana and Cucumber
The mixture of cucumber and banana can be made into a facial mask for reducing redness and inflammation caused by allergies.
- Quarter of a peeled cucumber
- Combine half a banana with a peel cucumber quarter in a food processor or blender for 20-30 seconds.
- Take out once you get a smooth paste.
- Apply a thick layer of the mixture to cleanse skin.
- Leave for 30-40 minutes before rinsing off with a gentle cleanser.
Note: This treatment can be used as often as possible because it does not cause irritation. You can store this puree in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
11. Beet and Carrot Juice
Fresh beets and carrot juice can be consumed as a prevention solution for keeping skin allergies at bay.
- Combine ½ cup fresh, peeled beetroot with three whole carrots, and ½ cup filtered water in a juicer.
- Blend the ingredients together.
- Drink this mixture first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Note: This mixture is great for preventing allergic reactions caused by cosmetics. You can also store this in your refrigerator for 48 hours.
12. Cod oil and Chamomile
A mixture of aloe vera gel, cod liver oil, and chamomile essential oil can be applied onto skin for treating redness and allergy related rashes caused by makeup.
- To prepare this mixture, combine one tsp aloe vera gel, two tsp of cod liver oil, and ¼ tsp of chamomile essential oil in a small bowl.
- Stir well to combine the ingredients together.
- Gently massage a thick layer of the mixture onto affected area.
- Leave for 45 minutes.
Note: You can store the solution in the refrigerator for 72 hours.
13. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood powder is an effective remedy for treating skin rashes and redness caused by cosmetic allergies.
- Mix a tsp each of sandalwood powder and rose water.
- Mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture onto affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
Note: The use of sandalwood and rose water can speed up the healing process.
Yogurt is a great home remedy for getting relief from skin allergic reactions caused by cosmetic products.
- Apply a small amount of the fresh yogurt onto affected area.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
Note: The use of yogurt can also prevent the allergy from spreading.
15. Cucumber Slices
The use of cucumber slices can decrease the spread of allergic reactions caused by cosmetics. The cooling effect present in cucumber can treat allergies, reduce redness, and itchiness.
- Cut a few thin slices of cucumber.
- Place these slices over affected area.
Note: This solution can also provide immediate relief from skin itchiness.
16. Ice cubes
Ice cubes can be used on minor skin irritations caused by cosmetic products. This is also an excellent eye makeup allergy remedy.
- Apply ice cubes over affected area.
- Press over skin for few seconds.
Note: Making use of ice cubes can reduce redness and provide relief from itchiness caused by allergy.
Lemon contains anti-inflammatory properties to provide relief from itching caused by cosmetics.
- Take one tsp of sandalwood powder and squeeze the juice of half a lemon.
- Mix the two ingredients well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture onto skin.
Note: This solution can provide relief from itching caused by cosmetics.
18. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves contain a high amount of menthol, anesthetic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains high amounts of anti-inflammatory rosmarinic acid that works effectively on allergies.
- Mix five grams of mint and crush it.
- Add a little amount of water to form a smooth paste.
- Add 12 grams of sugar.
Note: Consume this mixture twice a day to get relief from allergies caused by makeup.
19. Almond Leaves
Almond leaves can heal skin rashes effectively. This can provide relief from skin rashes and blemishes.
- Mash a handful of almond leaves to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste over the affected areas caused by cosmetic allergy on the skin.
Note: Repeat this remedy twice a day for best results.
20. Mashed Papaya Seeds
Mashed papaya seeds are a great home remedy for treating cosmetic related skin allergies.
- Apply mashed papaya seeds over affected area.
Note: This solution is also great for reducing itching caused by cosmetic allergies.
21. Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds provide quick relief from cosmetic allergies. It can reduce itching and relieve from redness caused by cosmetic allergy.
- Take one tsp of poppy seeds, one tsp of water, and one tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix it well.
- Apply the solution onto skin.
Note: Apply this solution twice or thrice a week for fast relief.
Vodka is a great ingredient for getting effective relief from cosmetic allergies.
- Mix four tsp of vodka and ten drops of rose oil.
- Add half a cup of rose petals and two cups of distilled water.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
Note: Wash the skin daily using this solution to get relief from cosmetic allergies.
Treatment for Cosmetic Allergy
The most essential treatment for cosmetic allergy is to stop using the cosmetics and whatever is causing the skin reaction right away. This can help in treating the skin reactions. Other creams like hydrocortisone can also ease inflammation. Also, do not apply a hydrocortisone cream to your face without consulting a doctor because it can cause light spots on your face.
Prevention Of Skin Reactions
- Select products with few ingredients. This may lower chances of causing a reaction.
- Do a small patch test before making use of any product. Take a small amount of the product on the inside of your elbow for 48-72 hours. You can look out for symptoms like redness, itching, swelling, and burning.
- Do not apply fragrance on your skin but apply it on your clothes. This can reduce the risk of allergic reaction. Doing this can also reduce the chances of fragrance with ingredients in other products.
- All products that are hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, sensitivity tested, and non-irritant are 100% safe. While most companies do testing, others don’t. There are no rules about how these rules can be applied on a label.
- Stay away highly scented products.
- Make use of products that are suitable for your skin type. You can consult a dermatologist before using a new product.
- Avoid the use of concentrated pure products. Do not mix multiple products; especially shampoos.
- You can make use of few herbal cosmetic options.
- Do not share your makeup brushes and applicators with other people. The chances of allergen are different.
- You can always check the expiry date before selecting the cosmetics. Making use of old cosmetics can be harmful to your skin.
Beauty is essential, but maintaining a healthy skin is more important. Cosmetics may sometimes lead to skin allergies, inflammation, and redness. With these home remedies mentioned above, you will be able to deal with makeup allergies better and maintain a healthy skin.