Grapefruit is also known as chakotra, which is a subtropical citrus fruit. This sour fruit was first harvested in Barbados in West Indies as a hybrid fruit. This fruit was named after grapes as it grows in cluster like grapes. Grapefruits are also widely grown in US, China, California, and other tropical Southern areas. The fruit has a thick skin and the flesh is succulent as oranges. The fruit is segmented and is acidic, ranging in colors of pink, red, and white. Most of the grapefruit varieties are seedless.
Benefits of Grapefruit
Grapefruit has a high presence of Vitamin A, carotene, and lycopene. It is often known as the fruit of paradise because of its health benefits. The pink and red grapefruits have huge content of beta carotene and also contains polychemicals like flavonoid, terpens, and limonoids. The pink grapefruit contains a carotenoid known as lycopen folate.
Additionally, grapefruit also contains Vitamin A, fiber, potassium, and magnesium. It also contains small levels of Vitamin B complex like folate, pyridoxine, riboflavin, and thiamine.
Grapefruit seed extract Benefits
Grape seed extract originated from the fruit of grapefruit tree. The seed extract is a liquid substance extracted from the seeds of a grapefruit. Its extract has healing agents and can help treat bacterial infections. Its seed extract also contains several nutrients and is also available in dietary supplement form.
Grapefruit for Skin Care
Grapefruit is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A and C that benefits skin through both consumption, and homemade mask. The Vitamin C and the antioxidants contents protect skin from environmental hazards. It can stimulate the production of skin collagen to boost elasticity. The presence of potassium in grapefruit smoothens out wrinkles and age spots. It also refreshes the skin.
The amino acids present in grapefruit makes the skin more firm.
Grapefruit face masks Recipe
Grapefruit has a rich presence of antioxidants, which can fight off free radicals that lead to wrinkles, dull skin tone, and discoloration. When selecting grapefruits, pay attention to red and pink colors as they contain lycopene and antioxidants. Grapefruit contains natural acids like lemons that exfoliate dead skin cells, clean pores, and brighten skin tone.
Here are 13 of our favorite DIY on how to make grapefruit face mask for skin care:
1. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Oily or Acne-Prone Skin
- 1 to 2 tsp grapefruit juice
What you need:
- Face mask brush (optional)
- Beat or whisk the egg until fluffy.
- Cut the grapefruit in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Add the grapefruit juice and sour cream to the egg white.
- Stir, whisk or beat the mixture well to bring it to a creamy texture.
- Begin with a thoroughly cleansed face.
- Apply the mask using fingers or face mask brush onto face and neck area, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave the mask for 15-20 minutes and wash off with water.
- Make a final rinse using cold water and pat skin dry.
- Apply moisturizer or face balm.
- Use twice a week.
Note: You can store this face wash for a maximum of two days in an airtight container.
2. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Fine Lines
- Mix one tablespoon of honey, ½ cup of oatmeal, and ½ of grapefruit juice.
- Apply the mixture onto face.
- Allow it to dry.
- Clean face with damp wash cloth.
Note: This grapefruit facemask will prevent development of fine lines. You should use this facial mask once a week to see results, lesser discoloration, smooth texture, and natural radiance.
3. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Blackheads
- Beat egg white using a fork or egg beater.
- Add one tsp each of grapefruit juice and sour cream.
- Apply the creamy mixture onto skin for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water to remove excess oil from greasy skin.
- Use once or twice a week.
Note: A white grapefruit is considered to be better for oily skin.
4. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Deep Cleansing
- Add the grapefruit peels, two tsp of grapefruit juice, and half a teaspoon of borax powder in half a cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat in a microwave for a few minutes.
- Strain the solution after it cools.
- Massage onto face and neck for deep cleansing.
Note: This cleanser is ideal for daily use.
5. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Radiant Skin
- Frozen grapefruit segments
- Simply massage the skin using chilled or frozen grapefruit segments for 10 minutes.
- Washing your face daily with this solution can allow you to maintain a healthy and radiant skin.
Note: You can also add chopped grapefruit peels in warm bath water to relieve from fatigue and stress.
6. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe to Reduce Wrinkles
- Add one tsp of rice flour, one tsp of grapefruit juice, one tsp of carrot juice and one tsp of sour cream.
- Mix these ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste onto face and rinse off after 20 minutes to reduce wrinkles.
Note: This face mask recipe is ideal for daily use.
7. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Reducing Large Pores
- Make use of grapefruit seed extracts to reduce skin puffiness and for reducing large skin pores.
Note: You can also make use of grapefruit seed extract or grapefruit scrub for treating oil facial areas by increasing the skin’s pH level.
8. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Skin Brightening
- Add 1-2 tsp yogurt in a small bowl.
- Mix the cornmeal to a bowl or the egg whites until it is light and fluffy.
- Squeeze two to three tsp of grapefruit juice into a small bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the face mask onto clean face and neck.
- Leave the mask for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off well using lukewarm water and pat dry.
Note: The Vitamin C present in grapefruit can naturally lighten discolored skin and dark spots. It can brighten dull-looking skin within few minutes. Grapefruit makes for a good skin-soothing antiseptic that can treat skin problems and balance oil production.
9. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe to Boost Collagen
- Three drops of sweet almond oil
- Peel ½ grapefruit using a knife and put the flesh into a blender.
- Zest up half of the grapefruit skin using a zester and put it in the blender.
- Add few drops of sweet almond oil, one egg yolk, and one tsp of oats.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
- Add a pinch of flour to thicken the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. Spread onto face and neck.
- Avoid getting the mask into the eyes.
- Leave the facial mask for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off your face using warm water.
- Pat your skin dry using a towel. Apply moisturize to rehydrate skin.
Note: Grapefruit contains citric acid that makes for a good facial mask for the skin. It can help to exfoliate dead skin cells and boost collagen. The Vitamin C present in the grapefruit brightens skin tone. This facial mask is suitable for all skin types.
10. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for flabby skin
- Mix one tsp of grapefruit pulp with one tsp sour cream, one tsp carrot juice, and one tsp rice flour.
- Apply this mixture onto face, neck, and chest for 30 minutes.
- Remove the skin and wash the skin using warm water and grapefruit juice.
Note: This facial mask is recommended for flabby skin.
11. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Dry Skin
- Mix one egg yolk, one tsp liquid honey, and ½ tsp grapefruit juice.
- The facial mask is ideal for dry skin.
Note: Add some grapefruit peel in a small bowl. Fill it with cold boiled water and infuse it the whole day. Strain carefully. The infused water can also be used for cleansing the face.
12. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Hyper-pigmentation
- Whip egg whites until they are frothy to form a smooth paste in a small bowl.
- Mix the grapefruit juice, honey, and oatmeal in a separate bowl.
- Wrap the grapefruit mixture into the egg whites and apply the mask onto cleansed face and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
Note: Grapefruit juice contains natural bleaching properties to boost collagen production. The protein present in egg white can treat acne scars and pigmentation. Adding raw honey and oatmeal can moisturize and exfoliate skin for clearer skin tone.
13. Grapefruit Face Mask Recipe for Skin Blemishes
- Select a ripe grapefruit.
- Peel off the grapefruit.
- Put away the peels inside a small container to avoid contamination.
- Take a piece of the peel and rub it on the face gently.
- Dispose the peels after use.
Note: Your skin will achieve a smoother, brighter, and healthier skin tone. The pH of your skin will remain balanced.
Hope these grapefruit benefits for skin help you. Do write in to us if you try any of these grapefruit face masks in the comment box below.